There are times in our life when we are not looking forward to an upcoming event. Perhaps it is a conversation with someone, a meeting we have to attend or an appointment we just keep putting off. In our mind, we create a story about how we think it will go and how things will likely unfold. We may be experiencing emotions of fear or hesitation and yet know we need to move forward. On some level we have created resistance. In this week’s blog I thought I would share my experience and thoughts on sowing seeds.
All of us, at one time or another, have had the feeling of dread in having to do something we don’t want to do. Our resistance is based upon our anticipated experience or reaction as a result of a situation. We have created a story about what we believe will occur and are consequently living in a future fantasy we have created in our minds. Our belief about how things will be not only impacts our ability to be open to whatever will unfold but it can also create suffering for us in the moment. As with everything we are creating in the moment, we are embedding the seeds of whatever will come.
When the anticipated moment arrives, it is difficult to be present as the story we have told ourselves in advance has become our reality. We are unable to be in the moment because we are still living in our fantasy. We focus upon those things we anticipate will occur. We don’t hear what is truly being said but rather listen for our worst fears to come true. Depending upon how invested we are in our fantasy, we may try to be open and positive in the moment but the degree to which we have invested in our story will determine the effort to relinquish it. For example, the story you may have created about an anticipated conversation with a friend may have been so formulated in your mind that you are too vested in its outcome to see what unfolds in the moment.
As creative beings, we need to be aware of what we are manifesting in each moment. The seeds we plant now will germinate and grow into reality down the road. In order to be aware of the seeds we sow, we need to be aware and attentive to our words and thoughts. All that we are in this currently moment is the culmination of all our previous thoughts and actions. However, as Pema Chodron puts it, the future is wide open. We can choose to plant positive seeds that will benefit us when they have grown and flower. We can anticipate how we want things to unfold by using words, thoughts and action to reinforce our vision. We need to focus upon what we want and not what we don’t want. Our thoughts will never stop so why not choose thoughts that serve us versus one’s that are limiting. One final thought on this area, we are ultimately responsible for our creations. Looking at what is unfolding as our own creation helps us to learn from our experiences.
Still there are events and situations that occur in which we would rather not have to experience. It may be a conversation with a loved one or a meeting with your boss. You may have anticipated the event with dread and hesitation. Many thoughts have surfaced and the moment has come. What can you do to remain present in the moment?
- Notice you are breathing. Focus upon 3-5 slow deep breathes. This will bring you into the moment and help you become centered.
- Remain open and receptive. Bring the mind into the present moment rather than allowing it to run off.
- Be curious about what is unfolding. Coming from a place of curiosity will allow you to hear what is being said without judgement.
- Be courageous to doing something different. If we can shift just one thing we can change our world. We don’t have to transform overnight, just begin slowly to move in a new direction. Slow and steady wins the race.
- Trust that what is unfolding right now is exactly what needs to happen. This may be difficult, in some cases down right challenging, but what’s happening is what’s happening. We can put all sorts of words, thoughts and/or feeling on it but it is what is. Trust that it is appropriate.
- Be gentle with yourself. Always remember to treat yourself with loving kindness. Criticizing or judging yourself will only intensify one’s negative experience.
From this moment forward, what is it that you want to create? What are the thoughts that will serve you and help you manifest that which you desire? Focus upon what you want. When doubt surfaces use it as fuel to strengthen your focus and resolve. Life is unfolding moment-to-moment regardless of whether you are sowing positive seeds or throwing your seeds into the wind hoping they will take hold. Cease this moment to plant your seeds of creation in the best place possible, water them and give them sunlight. Keep the weeds of negative thoughts out of your garden and then watch as your seeds grow.